Sunday, July 19, 2009

Now for some more basics

Every RPG needs some basic stats for characters and N.E.R.V.system will be no different. In particular I am referring to basic character attributes, the strength, dexterity, etc. stuff. I envision that there will be two types of these attributes, the standard and the series-specific.

So the task now is to determine which attributes will be bog standard used in all series. I have already asked Bernie and Colin for some input and when we meet next I'd like to hammer out specifics.

What has been suggested so far are:
  • Strength
  • Physical Agility
  • Intelligence (book learning)
  • Metal Agility
  • Body/Endurance/Constitution
  • Looks
  • Willpower

So, what would you like to see as the basic attributes? I'm not sure what the number will be so lets throw out ideas and see which ones get the most support.

And don't worry about how you'll pay for them, I'm seeing character generation as being a far more honour-system affair; we're all mature gamers after all. Right. Right?

1 comment:

  1. For what it's worth, I'm a fan of the "less is more" approach. Fewer stats means fewer dump stats (CHR, anyone?). It also means less specialization, but you can address that with skills.

    Attribute-related rolls (in my experience) usually boil down to:

    Physical Stuff - let's call this Body.
    Intellectual Stuff - bla bla or Brain or something more clevar.
    Interpersonal Stuff - Soul or Charisma or "soft skills" or whatever you want to call it.

    Physical Dexterity is a subsumed in Body.
    Mental Endurance might be a mix of Brain and Soul. Attractiveness a melange of Body and Soul.

    Why pay more for attributes people will never use?

    It's likely that this is a gross oversimplification and I'm sure there are lurking complexities hidden in reducing attributes like this that I'm not seeing, but this is the place for throwing out ideas, yus?

    Amusingly, the above list of attributes is pretty much a one-for-one reproduction of the Palladium/RIFTS system, if I'm not mistaken.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.